Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Developing music score publisher in Python


After 2 man-months connected with work, what do we have? My program says scores created inside other programs inside MusicXML interchange file format and puts this score in ram. Representing music from the computer memory creates intimidating problems on its own. It also shows a subset of the music symbols on the screen. 

You can glide in and away, you can cycle via a few color themes and you will change the title from the piece. Undo and redo are actually implemented and there’s a new neat framework that is to be used for just about every user command.

Each of these kinds of programs has their own set of difficulties. Finale is strong but unfriendly, it couldn’t provide for python programmers. Encore is expended; some of its bugs can never be fixed. Overture, its successor, also hasn’t seen a release with years. Sibelius is highly effective and user-friendly but recently they fired the complete development team, so I ponder over it to be dying too.

In reality, the project grew out of my dissatisfaction with each one of these existing programs. As a composer, I feel employing their software is frequently uncomfortable. Even Sibelius, the most user-friendly of these all for python freelancers. Maybe the response to my efforts has to be little more comfortable to use.

Many keyboard shortcuts happen to be planned and slipped into a configuration file hence the user can change any one of them if your woman wishes to. A music cursor by now exists that trips through all notes within the piece. But you however cannot add, change or delete just one note. And there is much still not shown on the screen.

But the problem is that this scope of the project can be so daunting. I have a tremendous backlog of features I want to implement before my solution can compete. I estimate the full project will take 18 man-months before it could be useful to anybody. It is July already and I have already been able to develop this project pertaining to only django consultants, so there are 16 to go. 

When I think about this, I feel We are a little outrageous for even having started it. If I quit, I will get wasted X months of playing and nobody will ever have had any use for virtually every of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment